Gamcheon Culture Village is a beautiful destination to visit in Busan. It’s a popular tourist attraction because of its beautifully colored buildings and houses that sit on the hillside. From Gamcheon Village you can see a beautiful view of the ocean as well. It’s worth visiting Gamcheon Village because of its rich culture and history of Korea.
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. Support my blog here.
Gamcheon Culture Village in Busan
Table of Contents
- 1 Gamcheon Culture Village in Busan
- 2 History about Busan Gamcheon Culture Village
- 3 Where is Gamcheon Culture Village?
- 4 How to go to Gamcheon Village
- 5 How to get around Gamcheon Village
- 6 Gamcheon Culture Village Map
- 7 Things to do in Busan’s Gamcheon Culture Village
- 8 Where to eat in Gamcheon Village
- 9 Cafes in Gamcheon Village
- 10 FAQs about Gamcheon Village
So why is Gamcheon Village such a popular destination to visit? Learn all about Gamcheon Village and things to do in this post.
History about Busan Gamcheon Culture Village
Busan’s Gamcheon Culture Village was built during the 1920s and 30s. It became a very popular place in the 1950s when the Korean War broke out. Many people left Seoul or the Northern parts of Korea to escape from the war. The hillsides protected them and hid them from the war’s turmoil. It was also used to provide housing for many of the poor people in Busan. The houses were built on top of each other like legos and are known to be like the Machu Picchu of South Korea.
In 2009, the government in Busan decided that the location needed to be renovated. So the area is now known for its colorful buildings, twisted alleyways, traditional paths, and stairways which have attracted thousands of tourists each year. The village is considered to be the most colorful place in Busan.
In this colorful village, you will find many beautifully crafted and designed art on the walls and stairways as you walk through. Many artists contributed to the colorful murals that fill the streets and pathways of Gamcheon Village.
Where is Gamcheon Culture Village?
Gamcheon Village is located in the southern part of South Korea in the city of Busan.
The address is 200 Gamnae 1(il)-ro, Gamcheon 2(i)-dong, Saha-gu, Busan.
How to go to Gamcheon Village
Gamcheon Culture Village is located in Busan. To get to Busan from Seoul or Incheon, you can fly, take a bus, or take the KTX train. It really depends on your preference on how to get there. Sometimes it is even cheaper to fly than take the train. The bus will take longer, but if you choose to do an overnight bus ride, it may be worth it. Once you arrive in Busan, use the following routes below.
Take the subway to Toseong Station 토성역. >Take Exit 6 and look for the sign for Gamcheon Culture Village > Change to the green minibus 1-1, 2, or 2-2. > Get off at Gamcheon Culture Village.
You can easily take a taxi cab to the main entrance of the Gamcheon Culture Village which is what we did. It was easier for our group of 3 people and my friend currently had an injury.
How to get around Gamcheon Village
Gamcheon Village is all done by walking. There is the main pathway you can take from end to end, but to really appreciate the beauty of Busan’s Gamcheon Village be prepared to take some steep steps and narrow alleyways. There are many cute little paths you can take throughout the village which is why getting a map at the tourist information center is important.
Planning a trip to Korea?
Connect with other travelers | Ask and get answers to all your travel questions | Learn about all the best things to do in Korea | Join our Korea Travel Planning + Guide Facebook Group now.
Gamcheon Culture Village Map
At the tourist information office, you can buy the map of Gamcheon Culture Village for 2,000 KRW. This map will show you all of the popular tourist spots in Gamcheon Village and acts as a passport to the area. You can stamp each area to show that you have visited all the tourist spots in Gamcheon Culture Village. If you finish your Gamcheon Culture Village Map full of stamps, you can receive 2 free Gamcheon Culture Village postcards from the tourist information office.
Where to get stamped
- Little Museum
- Haneul Maru
- Asteroid B612 Souvenir Shop
- Ocean Photo Zone
- House of Peace
- Modern Man
- House of Hope II
- Gamnae Eoulteo
- House with Puppies
- Happy Power Station
- Gamcheon Loess Salt Company
- Message of Hope
Things to do in Busan’s Gamcheon Culture Village
- Buy cute character cotton candy – I was so excited to see a Peach Cotton Candy there that I couldn’t resist not buying one. Their cotton candy was so cute in design and I had been craving one for a while.
- Buy local street food – There are a lot of street food vendors in Busan, one of the most popular street food you have to get in Busan is the Busan Hotteok. It’s a rice cake pancake filled with nuts, sunflower seeds, and brown sugar. It’s their style while the Seoul one is typically just the brown sugar filling. It’s one of my favorite desserts to get and a must in Korea.
- Enjoy the view from a cafe – There are a ton of beautiful cafes in Gamcheon Village and Korean’s love their coffee. So try to get one with the best views and just soak in all the gorgeous views you can get.
- Purchase a Lock with hopes and dreams – This was my favorite thing to do in Gamcheon Village because I was there with my best friends. We have made it a tradition to travel to a new country every year and this year they were coming out to visit me in Korea. It was nice to explore this area with them so we purchased a lock together with our hopes and dreams written on it.
- Take photographs
- Shop at local souvenir shops with handmade gifts – If you want some cool or interesting souvenirs, I’ve found some great ones at Gamcheon Village. Many of them are handmade, different, and beautifully crafted.
- Rent a Hanbok – There is an option to rent a hanbok at Gamcheon Village. Don’t be surprised to see girls dressed in Hanboks in this area. Renting hanboks has seemed to be very popular all over Korea and it doesn’t surprise me that it happens here as well.
- Admire Street Art – There are so many areas in Gamcheon Culture Village to see the beautiful street art. If you follow the path on the Gamcheon Culture Village Map, you will find some of the best street art in the area.
Where to eat in Gamcheon Village
- Pancake Mang Good House – If you want some Western food, this is a great place to get some delicious pasta. Korean’s really love carbonara pasta so be sure to have that.
- Street Food Vendors – I highly suggest you eat at the many street food vendors and enjoy snacks rather than trying to find a restaurant. There are not many restaurants in the area and can be typically expensive compared to the rest of Busan.
Cafes in Gamcheon Village
- Coffee It House – This is a beautiful cafe in Gamcheon Village to enjoy the beautiful views.
- Gamnae Cafe – While the views aren’t the best, the location is good and so is the coffee. You may stumble upon it during your self-guided map tour.
- Avant Garde Cafe – This is probably one of the most popular and one of the larger cafes in Gamcheon Culture Village. There are lots of places to sit in this beautiful cafe with a covered deck and an open balcony.
FAQs about Gamcheon Village
Is there an entrance fee to enter Gamcheon Culture Village?
Gamcheon Culture Village is free for all visitors.
Gamcheon Village Opening Hours
The operating hours for Gamcheon Village depends on the season. Since there are still people living in Gamcheon Village, the opening hours are usually later in the morning and closing hours end fairly early in the evening. For the best views try to get there around sunset to get a great view of the sun setting by the ocean.
- March-November 09:00-18:00
- December-February 09:00-17:00
How much time do you need to explore?
You can easily walk from one side to the next in about an hour or 2, however, if you really want to get some other views and go through some secluded areas, I would suggest 2-3 hours. It will give you some time to really enjoy the shops, cafes, restaurants, and some cool architecture.
Tips for visiting Gamcheon Village
- Be respectful and quiet – This village is still occupied by residents so please consider the families and residents who live there.
- Be patient for the right photo opportunities
- Visit during the weekdays to avoid big crowds
- Arrive right at 9:00 am.
- Buy the Gamcheon Culture Village map – At the entrance, you can purchase a souvenir map and collect stamps to all the locations on the map. It’s like a personal passport to Gamcheon Village.
- Wear comfortable shoes
Did you like this article? Support this blog by donating to the button below.
- Why you should visit South Korea!
- Things to do in Busan, South Korea
- Top 10 Korean Drugstore Skin Products
- 10 Things to Eat in Korea
- Seoul Travel Tips
- One day in Seoul
- Myeongdong Shopping Street
- Things to do in Itaewon
- Jeju Itinerary
- How to get to Bukchon Hanok Village
- Songwol Dong Fairy Tale Village
- Things to do in Danyang
- Autumn in Korea
- Things to do in Gangneung