Looking to travel to Spain but have no idea where to start? Well, then you’ve come to the right place. Learn about everything you can do in Spain with this ultimate Spain travel guide. This page will include things to do in Spain, the best time to visit Spain, the budget to have in Spain, top tours and attractions in Barcelona, and tips for traveling in Spain.
Things to do in Spain
There are a lot of beautiful cities to visit in Spain including Barcelona, Madrid, Seville, Ibiza, Grenada, Palma de Mallorca, and Granada. I have brown down some major locations to visit below, so be sure to check out the best things to do in each area.
Best time to visit Spain
The best time to visit Spain would be during the fall (September – November) or spring (March-May) months, mostly because the weather is much better during those times. Flights can oftentimes be fairly affordable during those times as well. Winter can be quite expensive especially around Christmas and New Years’. However, traveling during winter and summer shouldn’t deter you from visiting. If you plan on visiting sometime during summer, be sure to read my post on Spain in August.
Budget in Spain
For tourists, I would suggest bringing $100-150 per day on daily expenses excluding the cost of your hotel. This however solely depends on you, I’ve spent more and less than this within a day depending on the activities. Most of my major activities I had booked in advance, so the amount of money I would bring with me would be based on the things I was going to do that day like meals (which can easily be done affordably), last-minute tickets, or tickets you purchase at the door, and transportation.
Taking taxis can be expensive unless you plan on traveling with a group of people. So to save money I would suggest taking public transportation if you can. Eating out in Spain can be quite affordable especially when it comes to tapas and food markets.
Hotels are definitely more expensive in the bigger cities like Barcelona, however, the prices vary depending on where you stay. I stayed at some hostels for about $50-80 per night and I’ve seen hotels around $150+ per night depending on location and name.
This budget truly depends on how frugal you are and how much you plan to spend.
Moving to Spain
Moving to Spain depends solely on what your intentions are. If you plan to move to Spain there are few things to consider, for example, how much to save before moving to Spain, what to bring, what not to bring, how to get a visa, getting a criminal background check, how to get your documents apostilled and more.
If you are planning to move to Spain to study, I would suggest bringing at least $2,500- $3,500 USD for one semester in Spain. If you plan to not live in the dorms, it would be best to bring even more since it can be double the price for an apartment especially in Barcelona over a dorm. Dorm monthly prices can range from $220 – $470 per month and food costs can be anywhere from $10-30 per meal. Read more about ways to move to Spain.
Be sure to read my guide on Madrid or Barcelona, on choosing where to live as an expat.
What to Eat in Spain
There are tons of great food in Spain from cheap tapas, paella, and more.
Spanish food is famous for:
- Spanish ham (jamon iberico)
- Spanish rice dish (paella)
- Spanish tomato soup (gazpacho)
- Spanish omelet (tortilla espanola)
- Spanish sandwiches (bocadillos)
- Spanish sausage (Iberico chorizo)
- Spanish garlic prawns (gambas al ajillo)
- Spanish spinach with chickpeas (garbanzos con espinacas)
- Spanish croquettes (croquetas)
- Spanish fried fish (pescaito frito)
- Spanish Manchego cheese (queso Manchego)
- Spanish fried-dough pastry (churros)
- Spanish custard (crema Catalana)
Take the time to read my detailed post on the tapas in Madrid.
Top Tours and Attractions in Barcelona
- Explore the famous La Sagrada Familia
- Wander the grounds of Park Guell
- Experience the gorgeous views at La Casa
- Fan out at the biggest stadium in Europe in the heart of Barcelona
- Be amazed at a Flamenco Show
- Take a day trip to Montserrat
Spain Travel Guide Tips and Transportation
- Get a Barcelona Travel Card
- Grab a SIM card at the airport.
- Save money by taking the Barcelona Hop on Hop Off Bus
- To travel between cities in Spain, you can choose to fly, take a train, or travel by bus.
Spain Travel Guide Related Posts: