Tourists from all over the world love traveling to Vietnam, in fact, almost 10 million tourists visit each year. Hoi An has become a popular spot among tourists because of its quaint charm and the fact that you can easily get any clothing item custom made for decent prices. Hoi An Tailors are some of the best tailors and dressmakers in all of Vietnam which makes it a huge hot spot for manufacturers and tourists.
RELATED: Da Nang Attractions
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Hoi An Tailors | The best tailors in Hoi An
Table of Contents
- 1 Hoi An Tailors | The best tailors in Hoi An
- 2 Getting clothes made in Hoi An: Where do I start?
- 3 What clothes should I get tailored in Hoi An? What can I get made?
- 4 What are the steps for having clothes made by a Hoi An Tailor?
- 5 How to choose a tailor in Hoi An, Vietnam
- 6 Best Tailors in Hoi An, Vietnam
- 7 How much does it cost to get something made by a Hoi An Tailor?
- 8 How long does it take to get clothes made by a Hoi An Tailor?
- 9 Is it worth getting something made by tailors in Hoi An?
So before traveling to Hoi An, I was informed of all the clothes I could easily get made here. Since I am currently living in South Korea, it can be difficult to find plus size clothing. So when I heard about all the clothes I could get made in Hoi An, I was pretty excited. However, I was naive about the prices. I was actually expecting these prices to be a bit more affordable than I thought. I thought I had done my research, but maybe because there wasn’t much listed for plus size girls, my prices were slightly different. I have listed a break down of what items cost and how much to expect especially as a tourist. I am sure if you are there as a local and come back, it will be more affordable.
RELATED: One day in Hoi An Itinerary
Getting clothes made in Hoi An: Where do I start?
In this guide, I will help you through the steps of getting something made in Hoi An. There are quite a few things to consider before getting things made and you should prepare yourself prior to your arrival in Hoi An. I highly suggest you do a lot of research on what type of clothing you are looking for and what types of things you should get made. You should have a lot of photos and details ready for what you are looking for so that the tailor knows exactly what you expect and want from your clothing.
What clothes should I get tailored in Hoi An? What can I get made?
There are a lot of clothes you can easily get tailored in Hoi An. This just depends on what type of clothing items you want to get. Some of the most popular items I have listed below. I even asked many of my readers and friends items that they would love to get tailored.
- Casual pieces
- Plus size clothing
- Formal Dresses
- Wrap Dress
- Leather Sandals
- Leather Boots
There were a few items I wanted to be made that was rejected by some tailors, I’m not sure if it was because of how small the fabric would be or they just weren’t interested in making it. Eventually, I found a tailor located in the clothing market who was willing to make it and I couldn’t be more happy about it. So keep in mind if one tailor isn’t willing to do it, try another and see what they have to say.
I highly suggest you research your styles before you go. Although many of the tailors have lots of items you can choose from in their own books, I’m sure there is an item you have always wanted to get in your size but were unable to do so. This is your chance to make your dreams come true.
- Save photos
What are the steps for having clothes made by a Hoi An Tailor?
- Step 1 – Have your styles decided and ready to go. You can also pick a variety of clothing options from the books provided by each Hoi An Tailor.
- Step 2 – Discuss with your Hoi An Tailor what you want. Should it have pockets? Does it need to have lace? Do you want the sleeves to be shorters or longer? Make sure you are as detailed as possible.
- Step 3 – Pick the fabric you want. Some fabrics are more expensive than others, so keep that in mind since the cost of the item may increase.
- Step 4 – They will take your measurements needed for the item you are wanting to get.
- Step 5 – Depending on your tailor, they may want you to pay or put down a deposit before fitting the next day. It does take them actual time and money to create the outfit.
- Step 6 – You will need to return the next day for a fitting. If adjustments need to be made. you will need to come back later that evening or even the next day depending on how extensive the fitting is.
Some of the tailors are willing to even drop off the rest of your items at your hotel if you know you will be satisfied with the product the next day. So don’t hesitate to do this if you don’t have the time or are too exhausted to go back again.
How to choose a tailor in Hoi An, Vietnam
There are a few things to consider when choosing a tailor in Hoi An. Many of the tailors need to try and make a profit and some are definitely more expensive than others. You can try and bargain, but you may not be able to bargain it down as much as you might like. There were a few shops who were really not able to bring down the price even with me walking away. I will usually tell people to let me think about it, that way I am walking away but also gives me time to reconsider and see if they are willing to bring down the price. This showed me that the price they listed was, in fact, the best price I could get for the product.
Additionally, TripAdvisor is highly used in Hoi An and many of the tailors, restaurants, massage places and hotels want their reviews to be highly satisfactory. This helps them bring in business and shows they have high authority on their products and customer service.
Consider these things when choosing a tailor in Hoi An
- Reputation – Where is their product sewn? Is it a factory or inhouse? Are they highly recommended on TripAdvisor?
- Recommended styles – What are they able to create? What are their skillsets?
Best Tailors in Hoi An, Vietnam
There are quite a few amazing tailors in Hoi An, but honestly, it all depends on what you want and what your needs are. Many people are suggesting specific tailors because they want to promote them. Honestly, just go to what is best for you, your needs, and what makes you feel comfortable. Each location is different and varies on what they can or will be able to produce for you. I’ve suggested these few below based on where I went and the recommendations I received from friends and coworkers. It truly is your choice and you may not like any of these listed below.
- Sewing Bee Hoi An – Sewing Bee in Hoi An is a very popular stall to get clothes made in Hoi An. They are known for their affordable prices. There are a few expats that swear by this tailor in Hoi An making it a great place to get some affordable and quality clothes made to fit.
- Peace Tailor – This tailor is very popular and has several businesses they own within the city. This is more of a higher-end tailor that provides quality materials and professional space. Many of your hotels may recommend this location to get some clothes made.
- Kimmy Tailor – This is one of the most popular tailors within Hoi An. They have lots of quality pieces and you will notice outside of their shop many quality-made jackets and suits. This business is often filled with many clients and it is more for the higher end pieces.
- BeBe Tailor – Known for quality and style. Their reviews are popular among many bloggers and travelers alike. They are also recognized in many media outlets like TV, Magazines and other publications. They are also one of the best ones listed and reviewed on TripAdvisor.
- 45 Tailor inside the Clothing Market – This was one of my favorite stalls within the clothing market. This tailor has affordable prices, they were able to make items that I needed and were not very popular within their books. There are many people who speak English and are very helpful in getting you the items you want. They have several books to look through and some pieces that you can try on as well. Although this tailor doesn’t have a great reputation, they do have affordable prices.
Now if you are looking to get some custom made leather bags, boots, or sandals. I do not have a recommendation for who to use. However, many of these tailors work with other local shops and they will most likely provide you with some of the best locations to get your leather work done.
How much does it cost to get something made by a Hoi An Tailor?
So the cost varies on the type of clothing you plan on getting. I was able to get quite a few things made while there and these were the cost breakdown of these typical items. My items may have been more expensive due to more fabric used on my curvy plus size body or the detail of the item I got.
- $30 USD – Cotton pants
- $30 – $45 USD – Dress (My dress had lace details and was not basic)
- $25 USD – Skirt
- $15 USD – Collar
- $150 USD – Custom Suit
How long does it take to get clothes made by a Hoi An Tailor?
It typically takes a day to get the item made. However, you do need to come back the second day to come in for a fitting. If the item doesn’t fit, they will need to make adjustments which could take longer than anticipated.
Although, since the items do not take a long time to be made, don’t think that you can easily just get your item by only spending two days in Hoi An. You may need to go in for more than one fitting depending on the item you are wanting to get made. It’s better to spend more time rather than less. Additionally, it will be super helpful if you want something that you forgot to order at the last minute.
Is it worth getting something made by tailors in Hoi An?
This is completely up to the person. For me being plus size and living in South Korea, I found it absolutely necessary. There were some staples items that I wanted and needed and found it worth my while to get. For example, getting a wrap dress that modestly covered my chest was crucial for me. It’s hard to find dresses like that without worrying about whether it was appropriate for work or not.
However, there were some items that I didn’t feel were quite worth it. So even though I had a lot of ideas of what I wanted to get made in Hoi An, when the prices started adding up, I realized some of the pieces weren’t as necessary. I had to cut back on some of the things I wanted. I wanted some staples that I found were way over my price range and stuck to the items I felt I really wanted quality over quantity.
- Hoi An Restaurants and Best Food in Hoi An
- Vietnam Itinerary
- Ba Na Hills Da Nang
- Hoi An Lanterns
- Things to do in Hoi An
Would you get something made in Hoi An? What is something you’d love to get custom made in Hoi An? Leave your answer in the comments below.